To post your questions, click on the link (above) for this reading. You will see a "Post a Comment" box appear in which you can add your questions.
Please post 2 deep questions on this chapter after completing your reading. Remember, a deep question goes beyond the assigned reading. Deep questions might involve:
*Prediction
*Interpretation
*Synthesis
*Inference
*Evaluation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1. At what age do you believe it is appropriate to start teaching students about navigating, searching, and even retrieval skills on the internet? What age would you start teaching your own child how to use the computer?
ReplyDelete2. Skills for learning are no longer memorizing of certain facts, but there are many different ways of getting students to think critically about what they are learning. How do you know personally that what your showing the students to do on the computer is actually getting them to pick up, and learn that information in a deep proccessing way?
1. The “knowledge explosion” of abundant information available on the internet are additional challenges for learners to gather, retrieve, synthesize, evaluate, and transform information. With these challenges what are teachers doing in today’s classroom to help their students learn differently and is it helping them with the essential skills for learning? Are teacher’s maximizing learning in a technology-rich environment and exposing them to learn the new literacies of the Internet and other ICTS? If not why? Is it too time consuming?
ReplyDelete2. With the ever-changing ICTS (the Internet and other communication technologies), how does one stay informed and educated? With technology changing so frequently how does one maintain adequate skills and strategies to efficiently and effectively negotiate the realms of the available technology in today’s world without feeling overwhelmed, distracted and unorganized?
Megan Hilton
The article demonstrated a great way to incorporate computers into learning. Web Quests are helpful in that everything is in one spot and students are responsible for their own learning. It mentions that you can make your own or build off of an already existing one. How would you go about making your own web quest?
ReplyDeleteI plan to teach first grade and I often wonder how I can use computers appropriately for their age and grade level. I don't think I could use something like this in my classroom. Am I wrong?
1. 'WebQuests' is very usuful and practical way to teach with Web-based inquiry learning. However, does this not see limitation in connection with some subjects? I mean, in this article, social studies and environmental science could be learned by doing WebQuest, but I think there are other areas(of many subjects) which are not appropriate to use WebQuest.
ReplyDelete2. Whenever I think about web-based learning, I am worried about students' distracion when they use web in their learning. According to this article, we can observe students closer and give them time to reflect themselves to decrease their distraction. However, what if these treatments see limitation? Are there not explicit and practical instructions or methods to them encourage to be more resposible and have ownership for their learning?
1. The idea of WebQuest is very intriguing and I can see how effective it can be in the classroom, but how can it be implemented in such a way that it is not so time-consuming for each subject and lesson you are teaching?
ReplyDelete2. It's evident from this study that the children benefitted from a meaningful learning experience, but how can efficiently evaluate each child's level of understanding from the web-based inquiry?
1. I think that the webquests sound like a great way to help students learn information. I am wondering, at what age/grade is it appropriate to begin using webquests with your class?
ReplyDelete2. The says one of the downsides of doing a webquest is information overload. It also names a few other things. Would it be ok to have a webquest as an option rather than requirement if you know some students would do well with it and others wouldn't?
1. I liked this article and the ways it talked about and illustrated higher order thinking and connections. I felt that scaffolding into webquests and such activities is very important. What are some ways in which we as teachers can ensure we are giving our students enough information and tools to complete the task(s) we are giving them?
ReplyDelete2. In relation to scaffolding, I was wondering what things we can do at the beginning of the year to ultimately build up to a web-friendly classroom environment. What should be do from the start with our students to help with activities like webquests?
1. At what age do you think is appropriate for students to use the computer by themselves for instructional purposes? And in what ways could i incorporate computers into my 2nd grade class?
ReplyDelete2. How do we know if we are teaching enough information about technology to our students and the right ways of using it? What are some safe ways to teach our students to navigate on their own?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI think that the WebQuests can be used greatly for learning. It will be helpful for students to support their high level thinking and involvement. However, the important thing is instructions should be included. Thus, what should I do for students to learn using WebQuests as a teacher? Is there organized appropriate instruction? Do I just tell them the core points or sequences to use it, or more than that?
ReplyDeleteAccording to the article, WebQuests can offer learners opportunities for multiple knowledge and perspectives so that they can capture the real-world complexities to which the knowledge is applied. Nonetheless, I think that the real experience, such as observation and experimentation, is much more effective to them. Then, Is there specific fields which are more appropriate to learn with WebQuests?
1. How can we as teachers help students make connections with web-based text?
ReplyDelete2. What are ways that we can make web based learning effective for students and give them the opportunity to be intrinsically motivated?
1) I enjoyed reading the article about the WebQuest experiment that was done. I could see where using a WebQuest technique could be very useful with all of the information that is available. My question is, could the environmental study that we read about have been flawed from the beginning?
ReplyDeleteWhy were all of the participants average or above average students, and why were all of them middle class European Americans?
2) This text talked about using scaffolding, but are there certain concepts that a 3rd grader is expected to know from the core curriculum concerning computer technology? If not, wouldn't it be hard to know where to start with a web-site lesson plan if all of your students are at totally different knowledgeable levels?
ReplyDelete1. As a teacher getting ready to use WebQuests, how can you make sure that your students have the “adequate skills and strategies to efficiently and effectively negotiate the realms of available information to learn new content knowledge?”
ReplyDelete2. How can you make sure your WebQuests has an appropriate instructional design to guarantee “effective learning of higher order thinking skills:”
1. The article says “The internet and other information communication technologies have the potential to revolutionize teaching and learning through purposeful integration of technology for thoughtful and critical literacy”. What if the teacher doesn’t have access to a computer for the students? What is another way the teacher can use technology to challenge the students?
ReplyDelete2. How do we teach the students to properly navigate the internet? The article states “It is unlikely that many students who use the Internet possess adequate skills and strategies to efficiently and effectively negotiate the realms of available information to learn new content knowledge”. If most of the students don’t know, how do we ensure that they are learning how to properly navigate the internet so that we can begin teaching with the internet?
1. In the reading I found: "Helping students to make connections between what they read and the world around them is a catalyst for thoughtful literacy" How can I address the touchy topic of discrimination when I am bound by a curriculum versus the findings in a webQuest activity and what the students live everyday in their lives regarding any kind of Playground and institutional discrimination?
ReplyDelete2. I also learned about "meaningful learning" As a teacher Am I suppose to be quiet about the topic mentioned in the previous question or leave it up to the students to form their own opinion about discrimination or just simply censored all "truth"? or is this topic a Hot one or not suitable for webquest?
1. I think it is great to have a lot of technology in the classrooms. However, I was wondering how you would pay for all of the computers with the limited number of resources?
ReplyDelete2. There are young teachers and then there are the teachers who have been around for awhile who don't know much about technology. I see teachers all the time confused about technology in the classrooms. I think it is important to have seminars or workshops to help teachers do this. How would you plan on getting every teacher to a workshop?
1. According to the reading "webQuest promotes thoughtful literacy because it enables learners to process information using a variety of complex thinking skills" as a teacher how can you be sure that the webQuest we are using does make are students use all the complex thinking skills and they are getting everything out of it that they should?
ReplyDelete2. In a section of this reading the author talks about when students use the internet they can get easily distracted and go to their favorite websites, play games, and check their email. As a teacher how can we make sure the assignments are fun and active so it holds the students attention and they don't get bored and feel the need to play around on the internet?
1)How can you incorporate Webquests into a younger grade classroom where reading and computer skills are just started being taught?
ReplyDelete2)Webquests are great way to help students think critically about what they are learning about. How can you minimize the distractions of using a computer and make sure your students are learning what you want them to learn?
1) For students who have access to computers it seems as though Web Quests could be very beneficial for improving internet literacy. But what if a school is limited on the amount of time they are allowed to use the internet? If computer time was only 1 day a week for 40 minutes, is that enough time to create effective scaffolding through internet literacy? Will they forget the information from week to week and have to re-learn it each time?
ReplyDelete2) What if a teacher adopts into their curriculum Web Quests, where as fellow teachers from the previous year do not. Will enough prior knowledge be present to build upon or will that teacher have to start building again from the ground up?
1)Is it ever too early to incorporate technology into your curriculum?
ReplyDelete2)How would a teacher deal with a child who has never had access to a computer, the internet, etc?
1) The aritcle mentioned teaching skimming and scanning to students to help them deal with the possible information overload. I wonder if teaching those skills to kids will influence them to use these techniques in other formats. What I mean is, if we teach them to scan and skim materials on the internet with WebQuests, will then use this when reading a history textbook? Are we teaching them to just look for the useful information and to not worry about the details?
ReplyDelete2) With technology constantly changing, how can teachers be expected to keep up with all of the changes? And do schools help their teachers keep up to date and help to make sure that their equipment is up to date?
1. In today' society children see computer's as a machine that they play games at. What would be the appropriate age to introduce them to learning from it instead of playing video games?
ReplyDelete2.I think Web-Quest would be a helpful tool for a teacher. How can you be sure your student/child is gaining knowledgable information from it?
1. WebQuests look like an ideal tool for teachers and students. However, I think it should be different when it is applied to first grade students and sixth grade students. How can a teacher find proper ways to do that?
ReplyDelete2. I agree with the statement that Internet requires using information from text and responding thoughtfully and critically to it other than the memorization of facts or mere assimilation of knowledge. However, I think through the Internet, students can also find out how to do "that." For me, it seems like it isn't helpful for students in that it is only interrupting their own ability of responding "thoughtfully and critically." Isn't it hard to do WebQuests in this perspective?
1. How does a teacher help a student learn adequate computer skills without overwhelming them and making them more confused?
ReplyDelete2. How does a teacher get a student to want to learn about technology and how to use it effectively when they have limited access to it at home and have parents who are against technology and are afraid their child will become more dependant on it and will use something the parents do not understand?