Please answer the following two questions regarding your readings on Digital Portfolios. Responses are due by 12 noon on April 20.
1. What is the purpose of a professional portfolio?
2. In the example portfolios, what did you find most useful? That is, what was most likely to convince you that the teacher would be effective?
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1. I think the teachers portfolio is kind of like a journal. It shows what you have done in the past and what your goals are for the future. It is also a way to show evidence of your teaching. What you have done and what you have had the students do.
ReplyDelete2. I really liked Russell Rice's Portfolio. It was more focused toward younger students and the layout seemed easier for me to follow. The music ones are so formal. I would rather use a more relaxed layout that is geared towards learning being fun. I also thought some of the other portfolios were really wordy. They could have summarized more.
1. I think the purpose of a professional portfolio is to show what you are all about as a teacher. Teachers have different teaching styles and philosophies. It can also be used as a means of self assessment as well as assessment by your superiors.
ReplyDelete2. I really liked Kerri Lawler's Language Arts website. It's really lighthearted. She posts her classroom rules so that students and parents know what's going on. She writes a letter to the parents letting them know she is open for communications whenever it is needed. Plus she added music that makes the website more engaging and inviting for kids.
1. The purpose of a professional portfolio is to have examples of how you plan to teach. It is important to let your students, their parents and your principal know what your ideas are about education.
ReplyDelete2. I enjoyed Russell Rice's portfolio. I found that it was not too overdone. Nice and simple. I found that music and flare were rather distracting. The fact that his portfolio was geared toward a younger crowd drew me to him.
1. The purpose of a professional portfolio is to show your areas in which you have studied and what you do as a teacher. It is to show people who might be working with you to know what you have done till this point. This is a good way for your future employer to look at your qualifications.
ReplyDelete2. I liked Russell Rices's portfolio, it was easier to read and it was geared to younger and more exciting.
1. The purpose of a professional portfolio is a sampling of the breadth, depth and quality of one's work, in order to convey one's abilities, strengths or style, and achievements. A teaching portfolio can showcase one's abilities and it can also include ones educational philosophy, mission statement and goals.
ReplyDelete2. I liked Russel Rices' portfolio the best. I felt the content was well structured and it was professional. I could tell that he was an educator and that he understands children and knows how to work with families and diverse learners. It was geared toward children and it was easy to navigate.
Megan Hilton
1. I think that teaching portfolios are used to show parents what kind of teacher you are and to show parents what you are planning on teaching their children and what they can help with along the way. It's a way to promote better teaching.
ReplyDelete2. I looked at Kristen Kramer's. I really liked how she has her philosophy on her page. It's something that a parent can look at and see if they think their child would be willing or up to the challenge of being with that teacher. It shows the parents kind of what they are getting their kids into before they put their kids into the program.
1. A portfolio is a collection of your best work, documentation of you achievements, a way to showcase your teaching skills, growth, and range, provide an opportunity for reflection, and show your philosophy on teaching. A portfolio can be used to show future employers what you can contribute to their school, to other teachers for feedback and share ideas, or to parents so they can see what kind of teacher you will be to their students.
ReplyDelete2. I liked Russell Rice’s portfolio the best. It was easy to navigate and gave a lot of information without being overwhelming. It was also appealing because he used graphics and colors and try to make it humorous. Compared to the music portfolios it did look a little less professional but was appealing to me because it caught my eye and kept my attention.
1. I think that the purpose of a professional portfolio is to show a prospective employer what you are going to be like as a teacher. Portfolios generally contain some of the work that you have previously done (either in a class or during student teaching). It is good to have things like this so you can show what your teaching style is like. It is like a preview of what you will be teaching your future students.
ReplyDelete2. I liked Russell Rice's portfolio the best. It looked professional, but he incorporated some fun components into it with the icons indicating the different links of his portfolio. You could tell that he is a teacher and that his portfolio is user friendly so even younger people could easily navigate it.
1. I think that there are many purposes to a professional portfolio. The first one that came to my mind was to help parents understand more about the teacher their child is with. It can help them know how the child is learning and what they can expect from the teacher. It gives them a better understanding of what the teacher is like in a different way than face to face.
ReplyDelete2. I like Russel Rice's portfolio best. It was really easy to read and very creative. I found it fun and interesting. I think it was geared more to little children. It was a little less professional or wordy than the other ones but I think it was really catchy and fun.
1. The purpose of a professional portfolilio is to show what you can do to an potential employer, the your students families, people in the community. It shows how you view teaching, what you have done in the past, potential growth, growth in general, etc. It gives evidence of what you have done in teaching and what you plan on doing with your class.
ReplyDelete2. I enjoyed reading Russel Rice's porttfolio more than the other ones. I liked how he had links for teachers and links for students and you could tell wich links were for students and which links were for teachers. It is geared more for younger children and I found that the links to children's literature link interesting. What will be most helpful for me is the links to lesson plans I can see and use some of his ideas and adapt them to my students needs. The tips for teachers was interesting to read and think about. I was convienced he would be an effective teacher because he gave ways of accessing information for both teachers and his students without overdoing it. There was enough information without overwhelming me. It seemed more fun than the other portfolios and the different links caught my attention. It was also less wordy and got to the point of what he saw was important.
1. The purpose of portfolio is to prove how qulified I am as a teacher; it includes not only my acheivement for pretty long time as a teacher or student-teacher but also my reflections about what I have done. We can show those aspects with visual works and descriptions.
ReplyDelete1. I think that the purpose of portfolio is to show the pate that you have been walked as a teacher. It includes what educational philosophy you have, and how you did before, and what will you do for children. You can show your own educational history by portfolio.
ReplyDelete2. I think Russell's portfolio is the best. I like his perspective for ESL. He planed a full year assistant for ESL, and they are so specific,and helpful for them. I could feel that he is caring all eductional field as a teacher, and he also used appropriate visual aid for understanding.
1. Professional portfolios are there to show ones research achievements. With these types of portfolios you are able to document your findings, show your personal growth, along with a self-reflection in your teaching career. The purpose is to show everyone your quality of work, your abilities as a teacher, your achievements, and your strengths.
ReplyDelete2. What I found most useful on these was the teacher being able to display their resume, their Educational Portfolio, lesson plans etc. By putting that information out there for everyone to see you are saying that your proud of what you have done, and accomplished, and would like to share that with everyone else.
Ashlee Rooks
ReplyDelete1. The purpose of having a portfolio is to show who I am as a teacher and person, what I value as I teach, my accomplishments, my teaching philosophy and how dedicated and effective I am as a teacher by displaying the work that I've created and completed.
2. I found Kristen Kramer's portfolio to be impressive. She had a portfolio that was easy to follow but more importantly I found it helpful that she listed all of her evaluations from her student teaching days. I liked her honesty and confidence to display such material. For some teachers maybe they wouldn't feel it was a good idea to show where they had scored poorly, but in Kristen's case it was impressive to me that she not only showed her honest scores but that she improved upon them as each evaluation took place. Progress showed me that she is capable of improving,therefore on her way to being an effective teacher.
1) I feel that the purpose of a professional portfolio is mainly to stay organized. You can document your successes, your goals, any ideas that you had that worked well or didn't work. It is something that can always be referred to when trying to recall something. It is sort of like a scrapbook/journal for your teaching experiences. It is also a great reference when for future employers to refer to so they can see what kind of teacher you are.
ReplyDelete2)What I found most useful is having the resume right next to information about their curriculum planning and successes. You not only are learning where they have been in the past but always what they did while they were there. It is more eye opening then just reading a resume or being told about what they have done in the past. You get to see everything first hand.
1. I think a digital portfolio is very useful because you are able to see what you have done it the past and what you want to do in the future. It is nicec to have because you can assess yourself and your teaching. You can also look back so you can see what you can imorove or adjust for other classes.
ReplyDelete2. I really liked Kristen Kramers portfolio because it showed the parents what the teacher expects and they can know before they out their kids into the program how the program will work. I think parents would really appreciate to see this before the program starts and it shows what kind of teacher she is.
1. I feel that the purpose of a portfolio is to document, summarize, and show your work as a teacher. Whether it is actual lesson plans, units you have created, or your personal teaching philosophy-all these can be implemented in a portfolio to use for various purposes. It is a great tool for any teacher!
ReplyDelete2. In the example portfolios, i really liked when the person gave their personal philosophy and what was expected. A lot of times, students and parents don't know this information. I feel that this would be a very important aspect to have.
2. For me, Michelle Frownfelter's portfolio was impressive and I got the idea that what made the portfolio attrative was not only its construction but also the content like professional growth plan.
ReplyDelete1. It is the material which represents teachers' view of education, and reflect their teaching.
ReplyDelete2. I like Michelle Frownfelter's portfolio most.
She expalined well how her philoshophy, and required knowledge. It is organized well.
1. The purpose of a professional portfolio is to show a colection of your work. It can be used to see how you have improved throughout a period of time or to showcase your best work.
ReplyDelete2. I think it was most effective when a portfolio was easy to navigate and clearly explained what was included and why.
QUESTION 1: The purpose of a portfolio is to help teachers promote better teaching and to document teaching achievements. In other words, its there way of expressing themselves as professionals. It's basically like a journal for teachers that displays their work, such as lesson plans, reflections, evaluations, resume and philosophy.
ReplyDeleteQUESTION 2: In the example, I thought part 2(teaching artifacts and reflections documenting an extended teaching activity) was the most useful part. I think this part is extremely effective because it is the "meat" of the portfolio. In other words, it consist of things, such as, unit goals, lesson plans, resources, evaluation of students, and reflective analysis of students. I feel all these things are important elements to have in a portfolio in order to help the teacher faciliate the student's learning and also to be a effective teacher.
Answer 1. The purpose of the portfolio is a sample that shows a teacher's profile as professional. it encompass four very important aspects: teacher's philosophy of teaching, roles and responsibilities, teaching methods and evidences from students, peers, and others as a form of feedback, and reflections.
ReplyDeleteAnswer 2. I did not sample all, but of the few I looked at I liked Mrs. Dingman's because it shows a great deal of experience as teacher and the way she works, I thought to be well organized, cool colors and pictures. however , it might be a little busy, for some children to navigate. Another one I thought to support multicultural education was Mrs. Kristi Franz. because I could see a great deal of ownership through the pictures done by children and for the art from several places of the world done by the students as representatives of their mother culture.
1. The purpose of a portfolio is to show potential employers as well as current employers and parents what the teacher is all about. How they feel about teaching, what their expect out of their students and overall expectations about their classes.
ReplyDelete2. I think one of the most imporant things in the portfolios were the teacher's teaching philosophy. This allows anyone to see what the teacher is all about. The thing that helps you to see if the teahcer is effective is having the feedback/ analysis from students and peers. It offers a way to see the teacher from another's viewpoint.
1) I always thought a portfolio was mainly for a teacher to use for the interview process,if they were applying for a teaching position at a school.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading these articles, I realize that a portfolio is just as much for a teacher to reflect on their own progress and what they have done in their classrooms and other areas regarding their teaching
2)I thought the most impressive things about the portfolios that I looked at were the clarity of the subjects that were presented and how what was presented would be helpful to a parent of a student.
1. The purpose of a portfolio is to show people who you are and the things that you've accomplished and how you plan to apply that to you occupation.
ReplyDelete2. I like Russel Rice's portfolio because it has some fun links to it and it shows all his credentials and gives you an idea of who he is. Plus just the page itself has character.
1. The purpose of a professional portfolio is to provide a compilation of what you plan to teach, what people have thought of your teaching, your accomplishments and what you would bring to a potential employer's table.
ReplyDelete2. What I found most effective in viewing the portfolios, was organization and the thought they put into talking themselves up. A person with good organizational skills accompanied with confidence demonstrates someone who is detail oriented would be an asset as a teacher.
1. I think a professional portfolio is like an advertisement of myself. I show everything to anybody related to education so that I have a passion about this.
ReplyDelete2. I like Russell Rice's. His one looks especially appropriate for young children. I also like this kind of structure.
1. I think purpose of a professional portfolio is to show who you are, what you know, what you are capable of teaching and how you view world of eduation.
ReplyDelete2. It's important to be able to navigate easily and view information about your teacher. ALso, I like when a teacher describes personal expectations of students and parents.